Saturday, December 12, 2009

SORRY, NO E-BOOKS

Quick little note here, as we've recently been approached by several authors on this matter. Sadly, we do not review e-books. Bottom line is we spend way too much time in front of this monitor as is with our own writing and editing projects. When we read novels, both for our enjoyment and then these reviews, we want the old fashion joy of sitting back in a nice easy chair and having a real book in our hands. We don't think that's too much to ask. So, with no disrespect intended here, if your book is only available to read on-line, we're going to pass on it. Thanks, and a Happy Holiday to all of you out there in book-land.
Ron

7 comments:

The Rook said...

Understandable. I don't reading long works online, either.

Anonymous said...

Online books are real books too! The terms is physical books.

Ron Fortier said...

Sorry Anonymous, but it's you that's wrong. A book is a physical item
that I can hold in my hands with covers and pages. An e-book is only electronic images flashing across a computer monitor. Thus the word
E-Books. There is no "physical books". Around here, the we do not allow the tail to wag the dog. :)

Laurie Powers said...

I've had some authors send me PDFs of their books to review. I'm currently reading one right now and I've decided that it's the last PDF I'll review. It's too hard to stay focused on what's going on, you're constantly having to push on a 'down' arrow or so forth to get to the next page, and they are just too hard to read - maybe it's me. So that's my two cents on electronic versions of books.

Ron Fortier said...

Hi Laurie. Thanks for chiming in on this topic. I think most folks just do not realize just how many hours a day we spend in front of this monitor screen. I certainly don't begrudge anyone trying to find literary success with E-books, but
I simply cannot afford to review them. My eyesight is weak enough as it is. :)

jlawac said...

A pity there is not some new medium out yet for books, as in a wireless book that is actually a series of screens that an e-book uploads onto. Would be cool, though not quite as much fun to collect perhaps.

Esoteric Articles said...

I agree with jlawac, it would be good if there was some better medium to read from. The iPad is not that medium.